Sunday, February 19, 2017

Journal #3

Article #1:
  1. K Hubbard; A Must; M Eliasziw. (2013). What Elementary Schoolchildren Bring from Home to Eat at School. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 113(9).
  2. This source would be considered a secondary source because it covers a study of the topic related to nutrition but not does not actually answer my question. This article covers what students bring to school in their lunches but focuses more on the processed food aspect rather than the actual nutritional value of their lunch.
  3. This source is relevant to my research question because it studies what students have packed in their lunches. It does not touch on school-lunches which is also part of my question but it will still be helpful in discussing the packed lunches side of it.
  4. This journal article will be used in the results section of my literature review because it is all about packed lunches. I am not too sure it will be useful in any other part of my literature review because it is specifically just about packed lunches and I also want evidence of school lunches compared to them.
  5. When working with this source, I found it interesting that this was a very short article so I am not sure how useful it will be when getting further along with my research process


Article #2:
  1. Golley, R; Baines, E; Bassett, P. School lunch and learning behaviour in primary schools: an intervention study. Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 64(11). 1280-1288.
  2. This source would be considered a primary source for my project because it directly relates to my question. This article talks about how nutrition can affect the behavior and learning behaviors of the students.
  3. This is relevant to my research question because I am asking what the nutritional difference is between packed lunches from home and school-lunches are and I will also touch on how the nutrition affects the children's learning development.
  4. This journal will be used in the results section for my literature review because it provides some very important evidence that will be used to support my question. It also touches on how the nutrition affects children's behavior and learning which I feel would be a good topic to discuss as well
  5. I found a lot of this article to be very interesting when reading around in it. The authors of this organized the study very well and is has a lot of good information that will be useful.



Article #3:
  1. Prynne, Celia J; Handford, Caroline; Dunn, Valerie. The quality of midday meals eaten at school by adolescents; school lunches compared with packed lunch. Public Health Nutrition, 16(6). 1-8.
  2. This would be a secondary source because it is a study that will provide lots of helpful information for my research. It talks a lot about how the mid day meal is very crucial and has lots of effects on learning and behaviors. Again, I am more interested in the difference of packed lunches and school lunches but this still has a lot of useful information.
  3. This source will be relevant to my research question because the goal of this study was, “To compare food and nutrient intakes from midday meals provided by schools with those from packed lunches and to estimate the contribution from food eaten at midday to the total daily energy and nutrient intakes of teenagers.” I will be able to incorporate this into a lot of my literature review also because it provides some good statistics that will help me backup my claims.
  4. I speculate that this article will be useful in the results section of my article as I will probably be able to use some of the information in my introduction as well
  5. I found it interesting that this article really emphasized on the midday meal and how important it is as well as all the nutritional values. It is a very well structured article that has a lot of specific information as well.  


Article #4:
  1. Sweitzer, Sarah J; Byrd-Williams, Courtney E; Ranjit, Nalini. (2015). Development of a Method to Observe Preschoolers' Packed Lunches in Early Care and Education Centers. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 115(8). 1249-1259.
  2. This could be considered a primary source because it covers the topic that I am interested in but at a younger age group. It focuses on preschool aged and I have not found one that does so yet. Most of my sources are the elementary level while this one they are engaging the pre-schoolers.
  3. This is relevant to my research question because it talks about how early education in nutrition and the earlier you have a sense of nutritional values, the better it is. They are really trying to enforce healthier lifestyles into younger children in schools. In this study, they required parents to bring in meals and snacks that they would pack for their children and evaluate the nutrition.
  4. This will be useful in the results section of my literature review especially adding in another age group or group in general.
  5. The most interesting thing about this article for me was that it is a preschool that they were studying which will provide me with information that i have not yet found in this particular group.

No comments:

Post a Comment